On the street
- Don’t run across traffic to catch your bus or train. (If you have to run, it’s not your ride.)
- Never cross the street in front of a bus unless it’s stopped at a red light. Look both ways when walking past the front of the bus to cross another lane of traffic.
- Always use the designated pedestrian crossings and look both ways before crossing MAX or WES tracks, as trains may be approaching from either direction. MAX, WES and Portland Streetcar are relatively quiet, so remove your headphones when walking and listen carefully.
- When it’s dark out, wear light-colored clothing, reflectors and/or lights. Wave your phone as the bus approaches so the operator can see you.
- Avoid “distracted walking”: Be aware of your surroundings and check for cars, bikes, buses and trains before checking your phone.
- If you’re traveling with kids, keep them close to make sure you don’t accidentally get separated.
- Hold on to a seat or handrail while the bus or train is in motion.
- Keep track of your belongings, and secure your phone when you’re near the doors.
- If you’re riding the bus between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m., you can ask the operator to stop anywhere safe along your route — not just at designated stops. Just let the operator know a block or two in advance.
At the MAX or WES station
- Never walk or ride your bike on the tracks, or ride your bike on the boarding platform.
- Don’t let kids run or play in the station area or near the train tracks.
- As the train approaches, stay behind the white bumpy tiles until it comes to a complete stop.
At a Park & Ride
- Don’t leave valuables in your car. If you must leave items in your car, stow them in the trunk or in the center console before you go.
- Check to make sure your car is locked and all the windows are up before you walk away.