Updated February 26, 2022
We’re improving trimet.org based on your feedback
On January 19, 2022, we launched the first major update to trimet.org in seven years. Our previous website, which had served riders well since 2015, received several major upgrades including the addition of an interactive map with real-time vehicle locations.
Since we launched back in January, we’ve been monitoring customer feedback carefully and making fixes and improvements as we go. (By the way, thank you to those of you who have taken the time to write in – It’s been really helpful for the team to hear about your experiences using the new site.) In addition to various bug fixes that were affecting some riders, many of your suggestions and ideas for improvement have been implemented, and there are more to come.
Here’s a summary of the feedback we’ve heard from riders to date, and what we’ve done to address it:
March 17, 2022:
- FIXED: For some customers, text in the FROM input field (on the “Enter Starting Point” screen) was being replaced by the current location automatically every few seconds, clearing out what they had previously typed in that field.
February 24, 2022:
- FIXED: Some customers were unable to easily read the text on various homepage screens, as it was either too small/thin or lacking contrast. (This remains a work in progress.)
- FIXED: On the main Planner screen, the time/date and mode selection buttons were not obvious enough and did not look clickable. Some customers were confused by the time/date selector screen layout as well, and as a result were unable to change the date/time of travel.
- FIXED: In Stop View, the arrival cards could only be opened one at a time, so it was impossible to compare arrival times for multiple lines at-a-glance.
- FIXED: The site was not displaying correctly on some recent (2020) browser versions.
- FIXED: Some customers were experiencing frequent “Something went wrong” errors.
- FIXED: When current location is not enabled, customers’ Favorites were not being displayed on the Tracker tab as expected.
- FIXED: When hovering over an arrival in Tracker View or Stop View, the map would unexpectedly move to center itself on that location, instead of simply highlighting that stop on the map.
- FIXED: Some customers reported that the real-time vehicle icons on the map were too distracting when planning a trip. Now, vehicle icons are hidden on the map when the user starts to plan a trip.
- FIXED: In Tracker View, customers were confused by the new layout – specifically, where to enter a Stop ID number. We’ve added a discrete button labeled “Search by Stop ID or address” and updated the instructional text.
- FIXED: The Tracker View was briefly displaying an error message while loading arrival times, even when there wasn’t really an error: “Sorry, there aren’t any buses or trains nearby right now.”
- FIXED: In Route View, the route search function was not working as expected.
- FIXED: On some web browsers, the vehicle graphics on the homepage (bus, MAX and WES illustrations) were appearing at different sizes and overlapping.
February 3, 2022:
- FIXED: Clicking on the “Tracker” tab unexpectedly made the Search box (and Menu, on phones) disappear.
- FIXED: On the Search and To/From screens, some landmarks, intersections and certain other locations were not appearing in search results.
- FIXED: The labels for the “Service Alerts,” “My Location,” and “Map Settings” buttons in the lower-right corner of the map were hidden by default, making it difficult to find the Service Alerts page or change the map settings.
- FIXED: Some customers were unable to print trips, receiving an error saying “There is no itinerary to print.”
- FIXED: Some customers were receiving Trip Planner itineraries with unexpected results.
- FIXED: The Main Menu content was not displaying correctly when a general/systemwide alert was present.
- FIXED: Some customers were unable to distinguish between long similarly named stops in search results, due to the length of the “TriMet Stop ID #####” text.
- FIXED: Some customers were unable to read the text in the To/From/Search input fields and autocomplete search results, as it was either too small/thin or lacking contrast.
- FIXED: Some customers were not sure where to enter a Stop ID number to look up arrival times for a stop, as the “Search” label in the box at the top of the map was ambiguous.
January 21, 2022:
- FIXED: For some customers, the homepage and map was very slow to load and/or unresponsive to clicks and gestures.
Known bugs and issues that will be addressed in future releases:
- In Tracker View, arrivals no longer show the scheduled time, which some customers rely on to help identify specific vehicles they are planning to take.
- In Tracker View, Stop View and Location View, the arrival cards do not look clickable, so some riders are unaware that they can view more than one arrival time for a line.
- Some QR codes printed at bus stops for TransitTracker arrival times are not opening the correct Stop Page for phone users.
- Some customers report that they are not getting the Trip Planner itinerary results that they used to get with the previous Trip Planner.
- In Vehicle Tracking View, customers are experiencing frequent vehicle tracking errors.
- iPhone users must tap a second time before they can begin typing in the To/From/Search input fields.
- Customers using phones are unable to re-enable GPS location sharing after previously answering “Do not allow” to the location-sharing prompt.
- In Trip Planner View, the print-friendly itinerary that is displayed for printing is missing Stop ID numbers and is displayed in a different format than the screen itinerary.
- Customers are unable to use the arrow keys to scroll the content pane in Tracker View and Trip Itinerary View.
- In Tracker View and Stop View, “Scheduled at” times for future days are missing the day of the week.
- In Tracker View and Stop View, the “Nearby” label remains visible when Favorites are visible, even if those Favorited stops are not nearby.
Other planned improvements based on customer feedback:
- Spanish and other language support
- Dark mode/high-contrast mode option
- Search/autocomplete refinements to improve search quality and speed
- Favoriting refinements to make favoriting easier and more obvious
- Tooltips and help content to orient new users
- Aerial view and map iconography refinements
- Map performance refinements
- Add Hop fare retail locations option to Map Settings
- Add Free2Move carsharing option to Map Settings